Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Where Inspiration Comes From


Would you believe me if I told you that this drawing was inspired by an oil spot in a parking lot?!?



While walking through a parking lot after a storm last week, I came across a perfectly circular, perfectly beautiful oil spot on the wet pavement.  (Yes, I'm the crazy lady that stops in the middle of the road to take photos of the ground!)



The rainbow spot reminded me of the sharpie tie-dyed t-shirts that I had just helped Tyler's class make at their year end party.  That made me wonder if I might be able to re-create the same effect on paper.  So, after an unsuccessful attempt using sharpie markers, rubbing alcohol, and index cards, I pulled out my water soluble markers and started to play....



There is tremendous joy to be found in experimenting with supplies in new ways!  In the end, it turned out that the simple combination of water soluble markers and a spray bottle filled with water created some pretty remarkable results.

And to think, it all started after seeing an oil spot!  
It just goes to show how important it is to keep your eyes open, because...



Inspiration is everywhere!

12 comments:

  1. Totally awesome! I love that you used the colors for her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool ... yes, you can find inspiration all around!

    btw...i LOVE your son's eyeglasses. Very cool!! I really love the new styles out now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i so enjoyed hearing where you found your inspiration, thank you for showing us. It is a joy to see each of these Kristin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My very first artistic inspiration came when I found a bunch of teeny tiny acorns on the driveway. I had just retired and didn't know I'd ever be interested in art. Those acorns have led to a great deal.

    I have, by the way, a piece called "Inspiration is everywhere" that I did a year ago. I need to post that.

    Isn't this fun?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your inspiration! Tyler's growing up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the wonders of art,it's as if it is limitless.Cute Little boy. Children are the best of life as far as I'm concerned

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the wonders of art,it's as if it is limitless.Cute Little boy. Children are the best of life as far as I'm concerned

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your drawing!
    Nice post about inspiration and that you can find it everywhere: so true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspiration is awesome... And those tee shorts are adorable.. You are the greatest room parent ever... I think I did Pom poms with phoebes class and they all ended up slightly wonky lol... Have to go check Pinterest to see how this tie dye sharpie thing is done... That sounds like quite the thing... Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ps I would totally stop and take that photo too

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree! There is so much inspiration that one does not have the time to follow up on all of it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love and appreciate all of your comments! I turned off the word verification so please don't leave me spam. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...