Wednesday, January 30, 2013

2012 Favorites In 2013

2013: 1

The start of a new year is often a time of reflection, and this January has been no different for me.  I've been thinking a lot about what "worked" for me in 2012, and things I'd rather leave behind...

One of my favorite challenges from 2012, was Daisy Yellow's Index Card A Day (ICAD) in June and July.  (You can see my index cards here.)  One of the things I loved most about this challenge was that it turned out to be a great way for me to warm-up at the start of my creative day.  I was able to play with different ideas and techniques without worrying whether or not it was my usual or expected "style".  

Since I love the idea of a daily (or almost daily) warm-up, this month I started playing around on 140 lb. watercolor paper.  I liked the idea of "no-pressure" index cards, but I wanted something that could hold up to wet media better.  (I also started creating 5x7 images because I wanted a slightly bigger surface to play on.)

So far, I've created 14, 5x7 images.  I've decided that starting on Friday (February 1st), I'm going to kick it up a notch and start making these warm-ups a daily practice!  Which leads me to another one of my favorite challenges from 2012...

Ayala Art's 29 Faces.  She is starting another round of faces in February, so the timing seems perfect for me to join in the fun again!  (You can see my faces from her September challenge here.)

Be sure to stop back on Friday when I kick off my daily play!



15 comments:

  1. I loved your teabag index cards, so much fun Kristin. The painting above has terrific impact with the pencil drawing backed by the watercolours.
    Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspirational as always, Kristin. I'm branching out into some styles that aren't typical of me this year. Thanks for another great posting --- I always get ideas from your site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the index cards were fun... didn't you do tea bag ones... I seem to remember them as being quite the highlight... and looking forward to more of your faces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao,
    mi piacciono molto i tuoi post: sono semplici, originali e divertenti!
    Un gran sorriso sul mondo e sulla vita!
    Ciao, ciao, Floriana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I loved your 29 Faces, so I look forward to your new series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful Kristin! I wish I had the discipline to do something every day. I'm trying to make peace with the fact that I lack discipline AND time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy new Year! What great ART Kristin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and very inspiring art. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 5x7 warm ups are such a great idea. Isn't it amazing how something that small and pressure-free can jump start your creative brain?

    This one is pretty fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so glad you are participating in the 29 Faces challenge! your pieces are always so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.. beautiful ~ I'll stop by often to see your 29 faces :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Her eyes are amazing! Gorgeous art as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is amazing, I love her style!
    Greetings from Erika

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love and appreciate all of your comments! I turned off the word verification so please don't leave me spam. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...